Sunday, October 5, 2008

Collectors Anonymous





Some people collect things like buttons or cigarette lighters.


I've been collecting digital files. It started when I began learning desk top publishing with clip art, that led into photographs. Other people's photos purchased from stock photography companies online. Some of them I actually used for print advertising. Some of them I just liked. Filed away never to be seen again. Lately I've been collecting embroidery designs. Lots of 'em. I'll probably never use them, but I have collected them.


My hobby/side-business is embroidery. I love color, rich colors, all kinds of colors. Color in photos, color in fabrics and especially brilliant sheen thread colors. Embroidery is an extension of the colors, adding colors to fabrics, painting thread pictures. Actually, I really like fabric embellishment of any sort. Adding something of value with color. For instance, you can take an inexpensive sweatshirt and make something of worth by adding embellishments and embroidery. Very cool.
But embroidery is the latest avenue in which I am able to feed my obsession with collecting digital files. I'm especially fond of free ones. Do you think I would be alone in a Collectors Anonymous group?

By the way, I just read some of those buttons in the photo above. Not really my taste or philosophy. Just goes to show you, one should be more picky when choosing digital files to collect.



1 comment:

Laura K said...

Funny about the button sayings!